Dr. Bukar Hassan was born on 24th October 1959 and had his elementary education at Yimirdlalang Primary School 1966-1972 and Secondary Education at Government Secondary School, Waka Biu 1973- 1977.
Dr. Bukar Hassan graduated at University of Maiduguri with Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Degree in Botany (Second Class Upper Division) in 1982 and Master of Science (M.Sc.) Degree in Crop Production from the University of Bath, United Kingdom in 1985. He also had a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Arid Zone Ecology, University of Wales, United Kingdom in 1989, and three (3) relevant post-Doctoral Certificates at Silsoe College, University of Bedford, United Kingdom 1991, University of Dresden, Federal Republic of Germany 2001 and Centre for Research in Desertification Control. Valencia, Spain 2002 respectively.
Dr. Hassan work experience cuts across the academia and the Civil Service. He rose to the position of Permanent Secretary in 2015 and posted to the Federal Ministry of Environment and later redeployed to Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in March, 2017. He retired from the Service in September, 2018. In November. 2018 – Dec. 2018 he was appointed as Chairman Presidential Independent Fact- Finding Panel on National Health Insurance Scheme.
Dr. Hassan in a post service appointment was appointed the Director-General/Chief Executive Officer for the National Agency for the Great Green Wall, November 2018 to date.
Dr. Hassan fully participated in the process leading to the negotiation and adoption of United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification and Mitigate the Effects of Drought particularly in Africa and the consequent ratification by Nigeria in 1997. He was the first National Focal Point of the Convention 1994 – 2008.
Dr. Hassan among others also held the following positions;
- Head, Department of Biological Sciences, Modibo Adama College, University of Maiduguri, Yola, 1985 – 1986;
- National Project Coordinator, Global Environment Facility (GEF) Assisted Integrated Ecosystem Management Project in the Trasboundary Areas between Nigeria and Niger, 2006 – 2010;
- Head, Programme Implantation Unit of the Great Green Wall Programme, Federal Ministry of Environment, January – September 2014; and
- Director, Drought and Desertification Amelioration Department, Federal Ministry of Environment, 2009 – 2015.
- Other positions held includes; Member, Governing Board Nigeria Geological Surveys, 2010 – 2011; Chair Person and Africa representative, Committee for the Review of the Implementation of the Convention (CRIC) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), October 2015 – March 2017 and Member, Governing Board of Nigeria Nuclear Regulatory Agency (NNRA), November 2016 – March 2017