The Department is one of the technical Departments in the Agency. It was established towards achieving the establishment of the Great Green Wall in line with the Pan African Great Green Wall Initiative for mitigation of climate change and restoration of degraded land and ecosystem.
To have green and fertile land for sustainable development in the eleven seriously affected desert frontline States (Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina, Jigawa, Kano, Yobe, Borno, Bauchi, Adamawa, Gombe) in Nigeria stretching across about 1500km length by 15km width that will be free of famine, images of malnourished children and starving livestock.
To increase the forest cover that will combat drought and desertification, and erosion through the establishment of various plantations and agro-forestry models
- Establishment of both Community and Central Nurseries;
- Production of Forest and Fruit tree seedlings for plantation establishment and distribution to individuals for amenity/institutional planting for environmental sustainability;
- Establishment of shelterbelts to reduce North East wind velocity in order to control soil erosion and combat advancement of sahara desert;
- Establishment of woodlots to increase fuel wood production;
- Establishment of orchards to improve the nutrient intake of the rural populace and also to improve their income generation;
- Promotion of integrated natural resources management through the establishment of windbreaks, planting of indigenous trees on farmland and other agroforestry models etc in order to increase the forest cover, conserve biological diversity, and control land degradation;
The Department has two Divisions as at now which are:
- Land Restoration